Blog & Media Releases

Vehicle for Hire

by Angie Filian | May 14, 2018

Looking to drive for a living or operate your own taxi business? The Lee County Tax Collector’s Office is an important stepping stone to help you through that process. As of August 1, 2015, every business owner who operates a taxi or vehicle for hire business in Lee County must have a Certificate to Operate, a vehicle permit and two stickers for each vehicle. 

Before taking to the road, here are some things you need to know:

Certificate to operate: First things first, you must have a Certificate to Operate. A Certificate to Operate grants written authority to an applicant to operate a taxicab company or as an independent contractor operating a vehicle for hire within Lee County. You might be asking yourself, “How can I get a certificate to operate?” and the answer is simple! You can apply for a certificate to operate by downloading the Taxicab and Vehicle for Hire New Business Packet or you can easily stop by any of our seven locations. For more information on how to obtain a Certificate to Operate, click here.

Insurance requirements: The next step is proof of Commercial Liability Insurance. This is a requirement before any vehicle permit and stickers can be issued to a Taxicab or Vehicle for Hire business. There’s certain information that needs to be included on the commercial liability insurance form before it’s submitted. To find out what that is, click here.

Vehicle permit and stickers: Once you’ve completed the first two steps, you’re ready to get your vehicle permit and stickers! A vehicle permit contains vehicle and owner information and the vehicle stickers are color coded stickers issued annually. Both vehicle permits and stickers expire annually on September 30 and must be renewed through the Tax Collector’s Office. Here’s how you can obtain your vehicle permit and stickers.

Vehicle inspections: Now that you’ve received your vehicle permits and stickers, an ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified vehicle inspection is required. This inspection must be completed by an ASE certified mechanic upon initial application and every three years thereafter. Taxicab and Vehicle for Hire businesses have two options to meet requirements for a vehicle inspection. Click here to learn about your options.

Driver identification cards: And finally, it’s time to get your driver identification card! This is a photo identification card that is issued by the Tax Collector’s office for anyone who is operating a taxi or vehicle for hire. This process has a couple more steps involved so visit our website to find out how to get started.

Now that you know the vehicle for hire process, it’s time for you to get your permit and get on the road!